Thursday, June 19, 2008

One Tough Alligator


The other night we were heading home after dark. I was driving down our road where they have recently built a retention pond and opened a canal to the lake. Bryan and the kids had seen quite a few gators laying out in the sun, but then they built a fence and dam at the end of the canal and we haven't seen any gators lately. Well, this night I was going relatively slow, the road is still under construction, and there were 2 or 3 cars behind me. Then, laying in the lane was an alligator, about 4 feet straight across. I had no time to stop, so we hear thud, thud, followed by the next 2-3 cars. I start saying, "Oh no, guys I just ran over an alligator. So sad....." I get up far enough ahead to turn around and go back to check on it. When we get back, it's just laying there, not stretched out anymore and it looks like we ran over it's neck. I let the kids unstrap and stand up by the driver's side window so they can see better with the headlights pointing at the gator. We talk and mourn for the "baby" alligator. I eventually pull ahead into a driveway to turn around again. It takes all of about 1 minute. We pull out and it's gone. No trace of a gator anywhere. We don't know if it was knocked out for a minute or what, but it's gone. A loaded minivan and 2-3 other vehicles and it's only small, but that was one TOUGH gator!!

5 comments:

Em Russ said...

only in Florida do you run over alligators! (we've got skunks here... nasty!)

Lisa R.D. said...

This isn't something that EVER would happen in my world of desert Utah :). I love your nonchalant attitude... if it were me I'd still be freaking out and unable to type the story. Since the alligator is okay, did it do any damage to your van?

Tiffany said...

Emily said exactly what I was going to say, but I am going to say it again anyway...."only in Florida do you run over alligators!" UUMMM, so we saw a dead beaver on the road the other day....LAME!

Bryan and Amanda Russ said...

Crazy, I know. The van had no damage at all and for the record this is the first time I've ever seen a gator in the road. Tiff, I've never seen a beaver in the road, :-).

Robert said...

I saw a beaver near a beaver damn one time. Not in Florida.

An armadillo was run over in front of my house last week. Then the neighbor boys (and my boys) drug it up into my front yard. It laid there for a couple of days until I got a shovel and threw it into a yard across the street from my house. Ok, it was an empty lot, but yard sounded better.