We went to bed late again after the Homeschool Exhibition. We have both been feeling overwhelmed by life a little lately. Bryan has gone from crazy busy and trying to tie up about 6-7 tile jobs to a stand still (for like 2 days) and working on getting more jobs set up. The down economy seems to be staring us in the face as we have two friends who have recently lost their jobs, our business is slower, our home value has plummeted, our electric bill is outrageous as well as our food and gas bills and life with four kids under six is hectic from crack of dawn to late night wakings. It has seemed easier to get discouraged, but know that is not the will of our Father.
I opened the scriptures to the end of the first chapter in Alma and read about the prosperity of the Nephites as they were steady and faithful and generous with those in need, while the wicked were not prospered because of a multitude of wrong choices (babblings or gossip, idleness, idolatry, etc..). I felt that if we hold to our faith and press forward with faith in Christ and the hope that passeth understanding, we can find and enjoy peace amidst our storms.
Next, I opened to the end of Matthew 14 about Christ walking on the water. The Lord said unto them "Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid." What a beautiful verse.... Then Peter wanted to try and he was doing it until he got distracted by the boisterous waves around him, when he took his eyes off the Master of the winds and waves. Still, the Lord saved him "immediately" and taught him to be of greater faithfulness.
This morning I went back to Matthew and read before and remembered that this miracle happpened between 3-6am after John being beheaded and the Savior trying to be alone to pray in the desert place, yet the multitude followed, more than 5,000 strong, he spent the day with them instead healing and teaching,then the miracle of the loaves and fishes occurred, then he tried again to be alone to pray sending the disciples ahead in the boat. He endured such overwhelming days and nights and life, he knows the way to "succor" me and us in our afflictions.
I received a blessing a while back to not worry, because Jesus is the Christ. "Plan, prepare and work, but do not worry because Jesus is the Christ." Maybe I can do a little better to allow his strength to abide in me.
I opened the scriptures to the end of the first chapter in Alma and read about the prosperity of the Nephites as they were steady and faithful and generous with those in need, while the wicked were not prospered because of a multitude of wrong choices (babblings or gossip, idleness, idolatry, etc..). I felt that if we hold to our faith and press forward with faith in Christ and the hope that passeth understanding, we can find and enjoy peace amidst our storms.
Next, I opened to the end of Matthew 14 about Christ walking on the water. The Lord said unto them "Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid." What a beautiful verse.... Then Peter wanted to try and he was doing it until he got distracted by the boisterous waves around him, when he took his eyes off the Master of the winds and waves. Still, the Lord saved him "immediately" and taught him to be of greater faithfulness.
This morning I went back to Matthew and read before and remembered that this miracle happpened between 3-6am after John being beheaded and the Savior trying to be alone to pray in the desert place, yet the multitude followed, more than 5,000 strong, he spent the day with them instead healing and teaching,then the miracle of the loaves and fishes occurred, then he tried again to be alone to pray sending the disciples ahead in the boat. He endured such overwhelming days and nights and life, he knows the way to "succor" me and us in our afflictions.
I received a blessing a while back to not worry, because Jesus is the Christ. "Plan, prepare and work, but do not worry because Jesus is the Christ." Maybe I can do a little better to allow his strength to abide in me.
6 comments:
What a great post, I love finding answers to our present-day problems in the scriptures and I'm glad you shared your understanding with us. I hope things pick up soon for Bryan--I think that all of us are feeling the crunch with higher bills and food and gas prices and all of that. You are inspiring in your never-ending faith and trust in the Lord!
It is so nice to hear that I'm not the only one that gets overwhelmed. I really needed to hear these words at the moment...you are such a strong woman, I admire you so much.
Shane seems to be much better at prioritizing his worries than me :).
I was just talking to Amy about this on the phone tonight. We are all feeling it, even up here in Canada. I too felt inspired to fast last week to have more faith in my Father in Heaven. I always try to do everything on my own, and we don't have to, nor should we. I love the way you expressed this. See you in a few weeks and we can all swap crazy kid stories on the beach! Love you
Just what I needed. Thanks for all you do and all the love you give to my son and grandchildren. You are an inspiration.
Wow, thanks for such a great post! I really enjoyed your thoughts and I hope things pick up for you soon!
Such beautiful words, Amanda! Justin and I were actually up late last night talking about some of the craziness going on now with raising prices, business slowing down, etc. I was so touched by your post. I love you!!
Post a Comment