Sunday, March 16, 2008

A cool quote on Motherhood

I found this wonderful quote on a friend's blog and wanted to include it so we can all remember.

"Women rock a sobbing child without wondering if today's world is passing them by, because they know they hold tomorrow tightly in their arms. So often our sisters comfort others when their own needs are greater than those being comforted. That quality is like the generosity of Jesus on the cross. (The kicker) EMPATHY DURING AGONY IS A PORTION OF DIVINITY...When the real history of mankind is fully disclosed, will it feature the echoes of gunfire or the shaping sounds of lullabies? Will what happened in cradles and kitchens prove to be more controlling than what happened in congresses? No wonder the men of God support and sustain our sisters in their unique roles, for the act of deserting homes in order to shape society is like thoughtlessly removing crucial fingers from an imperiled dike in order to teach people how to swim." Elder Neal A. Maxwell 1979

5 comments:

SpaceyKasey said...

That is an amazing quote. So nice to hear someone elegantly articulate what we already know to be true. :)

Anonymous said...

Fabulous quote, I love it!

Ashley said...

HEY!! Good to hear from you! Yes, Shannon has a blog too. While mine has taken a particulary political tilt lately (see previous posts), Shannon's has an equal dose of politics and family pics. I just got a great new camera and I've had a blast playing with it. I'll be putting up some new family pictures this week. Riley just turned one on Saturday, so naturally I have to post the naked baby eating cake...

Ashley said...

Sorry, forgot to post the link to Shannon's blog... Here you go:

http://shannonitiswhatitis.blogspot.com/

Tiffany said...

I would maybe think this is an amazing quote if I was smart enough to understand it. Sorry, Amanda. NEal Maxwell was always a little over my head...loved him but he is too well spoken for me. Sad, but true.