Sunday, October 26, 2008

Mentors and Teachers

Most of us, hopefully, have at least one of those precious people in our lives who changes us and inspires greatness within. I have many such people...a lot of whom may be reading this right now. Well, one of my mentors and favorite teachers passed away today...Mrs.G.

We met in 8th grade, she was my English teacher and somehow I managed my schedule in a way to keep her as a teacher throughout high school...English, French, Toss-Up, etc. We went on Academic Bowl trips and ate chocolate mud cake at Shoney's and shared a hotel room. She threw shoes and erasers at us when we wouldn't behave. She smoked like a chimney and we loved her even more. We hung out in her room after school and hid in their at lunchtime sometimes under her desk. We made and served French dinners with lamb, artichokes, and real mousse every year. We made fun of her because she loved Jeopardy and would tape it every night and copy down the questions to quiz us on later. She loved her dogs and us. I love her!

She taught me to love to learn...to love to read...to seek classical education and learn all I could about history, languages, literature and cultures. I remember sitting in her class and seeing a better future and the whole world opening before me. She inspired me to be different and be the best I could be. She helped me go to state in Literature competitions and dare to do my best in everything. She is a special woman!

Well, I found her 3 weeks ago after about 10 years, through her daughter. She actually was living in Florida about an hour from me. She had been diagnosed with inoperable cancer and wasn't doing well. I sent a message with her daughter of love and appreciation, but really wanted to get over to visit. We got busy and hadn't made the trip yet. Then today I learned it was too late............
I'm sad!

So......tell the ones you love and who have changed your life how much they mean to you. Maybe I'll stop and make time for friends a little faster. Hopefully, we can all inspire others to reach higher. Another student said he'd say something French and memorize some useless trivia in her behalf, sounds like a proper tribute to me. I don't have any great words of wisdom, but am grateful for special people like my Mrs.G.....

Je t'aime Mrs.G, vous avez change ma vie!


1 comment:

SpaceyKasey said...

What a sweet post. I love Mrs. G too, now. Condolences and love to you.