Sunday, April 12, 2009

Shuttle Launch

I LOVE space things. I watched Space Camp about 100 times when I was a kid, dreaming of getting to go into space. I had posters and pictures of Space and the shuttle in my room and cried with the country when the Challenger exploded. My friend, Dana, and I dreamed of becoming astronauts together (she actually got closer than I did by double majoring in Physics and Engineering). Sooooo........
We move to Florida, about 2 hours from Cape Canaveral. What is amazing to me though is the view from our home, our own front yard affords us these amazing pictures. We will turn the launch on tv and then run out as it blasts off and watch outside while we hear on television the report. We almost drove out to this launch, but it was late and a school night, but boy was it beautiful. These pictures can't do it justice.
Look closely and you can see the two rocket boosters separating, there are 3 dots of light. Amazing!
This is the residual smoke, with the colors of the sunset. WOW!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How neat to be able to watch shuttle launches right from your own front yard! Thanks for sharing.

RyanH said...

Wow, awesome! From your front yard even!

Marilee Belnap said...

These pics are awesome!

Marianne said...

Now that's cool, I forgot how much I loved that. Thanks for the hometown reminder :) it looks like you guys had a great easter, you seriously have the cutest kids and that daughter of yours, OMG, she's going to be a model for sure. it was great to see you guys and catch up :)