Friday, February 6, 2009

Gavyn is Reading!!!

Gavyn is 5 1/2 and has learned so much this year in Kindergarten. He has got most of the letter names and sounds down now, it's been wonderful to witness his learning! Well, as I was putting books back on the shelf again I came across one of the early phonic readers Makayla enjoyed being able to read. I recognized that the first story was made of the sight words he knows and words he could sound out easily.

So I laid it aside for him. When he got home I told him I had a surprise for him. I had a book he could read. He says"I can't read." I said, "Come, see." Well, he sits down and we open up to the first page which says ..."See, See." Then something like, " I see." He recognizes the words hesitantly, then gets excited and turns the page and progressively gets more and more happy and proud of himself. It was a precious moment! I have to admit I got teary later that night realizing that even though I'm not homeschooling right now, I got to be there as he read his first book and discovered this whole new world.

The day went on where he read through the 8 little stories in that book. Then read it all through for Dad when he got home, again at bedtime, slept with the book, then had to take it to school to show his teacher.

Way to go Gavy Man!

I love the way this video caught his enthusiasm at the beginning. He felt soo great about his accomplishment and we do too!

4 comments:

Laura said...

SO fun!!! liam is reading also and he loves it. He read to us last FHE, showed the pictures and everything. He was so excited. It really is an amazing stage in life. He's so cute!

Anonymous said...

Wait a go Gavyn! Reading is so fun and like you said, it really does open up a whole new world.

Em Russ said...

So cute. I can't BELIEVE how much that kid looks like Bryan!!

Anonymous said...

Tell Gavyn, I can't wait until he can read a book to me. I am sooo proud of him. I agree with Emily, he looks so much like his daddy. What a hunk! -Aunt Melanie :)