Sunday, October 31, 2010

Lessons Learned or at least Learned a Little Better

As I have had to lie around for the past 8 weeks, I have had the opportunity to think on somethings. Being sick and unable to do what you want is miserable...you can't stand and get what you want, but have to wait for others to serve you.

If it's a glass (or bottle) of water you desire, you ask and then just patiently wait until either a child decides to help or a father remembers amidst demands of five people, or a kind sister hears and serves. If the water is hot or messy or not enough or in the wrong container, you are never the less grateful for the service that you could not do for yourself. It makes you evaluate exactly what it is you ask for before you ask. What is the real priority? Is it water, food, pillow, phone, or something cleaned or a child's need? It makes you amazingly grateful for others and extremely humble. It reinforces your desire above all to be self-sufficient in all things.

So...what is the "so what" from this lesson???? I haven't gotten that far yet, that's why I am writing.

* Maybe it's to think, plan and prioritize more what it is I am asking Heavenly Father for in my prayers. Is it health, selling a house, righteous children, ability to serve more, our family being together?

* Maybe it will help me Simplify - what are the really essential things that happen each day. I have come to believe that feeding my children with love and the spirit is even more important than feeding their bodies and keeping them clean. The focus has been to make sure they get where they need to be, have clean clothes and have been fed, cleaned and gotten to bed. Yet, as I see how much they are arguing and disobeying, and getting mad, I have to believe that it is because they have not gotten the more essential nourishment they have needed. Scriptures and prayers at morning and night have been more rushed, stories haven't been read, FHE has been scarce. If I really have to choose what is the most important things that get done today, I want to choose spiritual nourishment and Love.

4 comments:

Em Russ said...

amen sister!!

Tanya said...

Wonderful points. I notice the same thing when we have too much going on to focus on the things that are most important. Thank you for the reminder! (((HUGS)))

James and Cari said...

That was the most perfect inspiration to greet my morning!! You're the BEST Amanda!! :-) Thank you Thank you! xoxo

Jodi said...

You are so amazing Amanda. My heart aches to think of what a difficult time this must be for you. Your words are beautiful and inspiring. I love you so much my sweet friend.
Jodi