
My sweet and spirited Nanna passed away on September 22, 2009. I was blessed to be with her for the four days previous and when she left this world. She passed without pain, an answer to prayer and a true miracle given her condition, in her sleep surrounded by her daughter and grandchildren. She had lived independently up until she entered the hospital a few days after her 85th birthday. Our family had just been there the first week of September to celebrate her birthday, so our kids have pleasant memories of thier last time with Nanna. I just pray I will help them to know and realize what an incredible woman she was and is.My memories with Nanna encompass most of my happy childhood memories. At her house, I felt special and safe and happy. We lived next door to her for about 2 years while I was 4-6 and then moved about 3 blocks away. I spent most weekends at her house for years. We had Saturday morning routines which included special cereals, cartoons, chores (like dusting the bottoms of her furniture because it was hard for her to reach) for which we were paid in coins to add to our savings jars upstairs, our notebooks of learning, a full breakfast later with Papa, and then yardwork and play. I walked all over town with her, she used to walk to the library, bank, her sisters, the grocery store, etc. I'd hold her hand and explored every road around town with her.
As we got older and more involved in activities, she was there; our concerts and performances, games and banquets. She was our first customer in fund raisers and always had goody bags ready for us for camps or long trips. Christmas was never complete until we had gone back to Nanna's to show her our presents from Santa. We usually had Christmas Eve at her house and went back Christmas day.
Then as I graduated and moved away, she was my most steady and constant friend and letter writer. Almost like clockwork, I received letters and cards from her all through college and my mission. These letters are now some of my precious heritage from her and bring her close again.
These are some of the pictures I have of more recent years as well as the words my sister and I shared from our family at her funeral.


Makayla's special day with Nanna, doing some of my favorite things with her, putting on Mary Kay makeup and trying on her costume jewelry.
She married the love of her life, Homer, in 1945 at the end of World War II and she always said that “Uncle Sam had the best looking soldier. Many have fond memories of when they owned the B & H Cafe in Chickamauga in the 40's and 50's.
Her family was her life. Her greatest joys were her daughter and grandchildren. She always made sure that her grandchildren were treated equally, this was especially evident at Christmas when presents must be equal in number and purchase price. This often led to gifts of Kleenex, underwear, Little Debbies or perhaps coins taped to the box.
She had a true love of learning and encouraged others to do the same. She enrolled each of her grandchildren in the Library reading programs and took us regularly to check out books. She also had us copy Bible verses, presidents, and states and capitals into our notebooks all before we could watch Saturday morning cartoons. She trained us to seek out answers to our questions in her World Book Encyclopedias..
She was a fierce and funny friend to many. As you all know, she could say anything about anyone, but no one better criticize her family or circle of friends. She always spoke her mind and was passionately loyal about politics and her community though she frequently reminded us when we left a light on that she did not own stock in Georgia Power.
She had Christlike compassion for those in need, evidenced by her many cards and letters. Taking care of others was a focal point in her life. Whether it was her sisters, her friends, or being a pseudo mother to those who had lost theirs.
We know that we will see Nanna again- and not just see her, but hug her, talk to her, and laugh with her again. We love her so much, and though saying goodbye is hard, we know our separation is just for now. We will see her again and if we keep an eternal perspective we will find peace and hope.
Our hope is that we can always remember that the struggles and trials we have here are just for now, and our Savior is ready and waiting to take whatever pain or struggle we may have- we just have to give it to Him. He lived so that we could live again forever in families."




6 comments:
Ohhh, so sorry for your loss. My grandfather passed away in July and it ended up a lot harder than I expected.
Sending hugs!!!
I love what you did to honor Nanna on your blog. I hope you are doing o.k. Hal is having a really hard time since we got home from Ga. Please know that you are in my prayers. Love Ya'
Thank you sis, your the one that was the most strong for us all and know how to put words just perfectly for all of us!! Your my strength and thank God daily for a wonderful sister!!
I love those pictures that you have of the kids with her.
Amanda, my thoughts are with you and your family. I do have to say, Nana hadn't changed sinced the last time I saw her. I so remember seeing her and talking with her. I remember her asking me to call her Nana as I came over quite often. She is a special lady who will always be remembered and loved. I hope you and all your family are doing well.
As time goes by little things will remind you of Nana and you will cherish those moments. I've noticed since Nanny and Papa passed away that I seem to remember things I had forgotten and write them down in a special journal, such as not touching her ice sickles.
My love is with you. I miss you and hope to see you soon. Love ya!
That was a beautiful tribute Amanda. It makes me want to be a better grandmother to your children. Nana was a great example of the positive influence grandparents can have in the lives of their grandchildren. I am sorry for your lost. I didn't realize until I read this that you had such a close relationship. Love, Liz
Post a Comment