I was cutting the tops off of some strawberries to freeze before we leave for the weekend. Strawberries remind me of Nanna. When we lived next door to her and Papa, they had a garden in the back of our yard. I have wonderful memories of that garden, but mostly of the strawberry patch in the corner. There were black plastic bags and dead leaves and underneath it all were the most delicious strawberries. I remember eating them in her kitchen and declaring for years there after that strawberries were definitely my favorite fruit. The ones from the store never tasted quite as sweet as hers. Sometime in elementary school we had a fundraiser, we sold little figurines of a little strawberry girl.
Nanna was always the first and surest sale. She bought one and told me I was her strawberry girl. I hope her little strawberry girl bell is still at her house and I can bring it here and remember her. I always think of Nanna when strawberries are around :).
1 comment:
It's interesting the things that remind us of those we love. A lot of things remind me of Nanna, particularly bananas. She once tried to convince Ashley to eat a banana that had obviously been sitting on her table for over a month. Amazingly the thing was not black, however the peel near the top had split and something greenish-blue and perhaps even glowing was protruding forth. Nanna simply could not understand why Ashley, whom she knew loved bananas, was near to tears as she tried in vain to convince her to eat it. She finally gave up and declared Ashley the most stubborn child to ever have lived then turned to me and asked if I wanted to eat the banana. Now when I eat bananas I often laugh to myself as I remember the look of horror on my daughter's face. Oh how much I miss Nanna!
Post a Comment